Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fiji Highlights

Fiji has been everything and so much more than we had expected. The people stand out with their friendly welcoming attitude. They all holler "Bula!" and smile widely when they meet you. The landscape is beautiful, though no more so than any of the other island countries that we have been to. The weather really has been pleasant. Hot, but not too hot, sunny and the occasional rainy day. The diving has been nothing less than superb. My number one spot has to be the "chimneys" by Namena Reef. The visual excitement of seeing such voluminous clouds of brilliantly colored little fishes that move with the unison of a single thought will stay in my memory forever. I don't need photography for me to recall the awesome beauty of the clustered soft corals with their kaleidoscope colors or the thrill of finding two miniscule red and yellow cleaner shrimp in a crevice. My number two favorite diving spot is shared by Nananu i Ra and Jack's Viani Bay - Rainbow Reef. Both fantastic beyond description. Basically, you can fall into the water anywhere is Fiji and have a good dive

A tumble of feelings occur when you shower on the swim grid of the boat for all of the world to see. (Don't worry, I'm wearing my swim suit so I don't freak anybody out.) The bay is calm and secluded (almost) and the sun is gently shining, warming the cool fresh water that rinses the salt away. Feelings - giddy, because it feels like a guilty pleasure - vertigo, as I lean my head back over the ocean behind me, eyes closed - tingly toes, my heels are hanging over the edge of the swim platform and my toes are my only solid contact (will I fall backward?) - happiness, for the freedom of it all. Showering off the back has become something I look forward to after a day of saltwater activity. Fiji is the perfect environment.

We will definitely return to this country, sevu sevu and all.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment